Highlights: Research Assistant for Climate Smart Cities @ NIUA
|Project:||Climate Smart Cities|
|Eligibility:||Master’s Degree in (urban/regional) Planning/City Planning/Urban Policy/Urban Development/Engineering/Architecture/ Environment Planning or equivalent Social Sciences (relevant to urban development)|
|Experience Required:||at least 3 years of experience in undertaking research activities focused on climate change and related topics|
|Type:||Full time position | on Contract|
|Remuneration:||At par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills. Proof of past remuneration may be required upon offer.|
|Last date to apply:||25 August 2020|
Climate Smart Cities
About the Project
The National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi, along with TU Berlin and DIFU, is implementing the Climate Smart Cities Project in India funded by GIZ.
The objective of the project is to anchor climate-friendly solutions for urban infrastructure projects and area-based development in the planning and implementation of projects under the Smart Cities Mission of the Government of India. It focuses on supporting cities through various instruments (technical handholding, training, peer learning) in implementing smart solutions.
The project works with three Indian Smart Cities of Bhubaneshwar, Coimbatore, Kochi and their respective state governments in the planning and implementation of smart and climate-friendly measures for infrastructure and area based development, and measuring and monitoring of their GHG emissions.
In addition to the technical assistance to the 3 partner cities, NIUA is implementing the MoHUA ClimateSmart Cities Assessment Framework for all 100 Smart Cities, in the capacity of strategic unit (along with GIZ) and IT-PMU.
The project was initiated in November 2018, and has a total duration of 3 years. NIUA is looking for one research assistant to support the ongoing work under the project.
- Contribution to the New Urban Agenda (Habitat III) as well as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 11.
- Promotion of climate-relevant solutions for urban infrastructure and increase the capacities of cities to contribute to reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
- Developing a national assessment framework for the 100 smart cities as a road map for climate action- for self-assessment, for guiding action and for planning projects
- Developing capacities of urban local bodies with the support of training institutes, in order to undertake climate conscious urban interventions
- Disseminating German & International experiences for including climate aspects into Smart City projects
- Promotion amongst all relevant actors at national and state level through a networking platform to use the recommendations in their on-going works and future urban development programs and their contribution to the national climate policy.
The scope of work to be undertaken by NIUA under the project comprises of four key components:
- Setting up a National Help Desk: Establishment of national help desk to transfer know-how and technical inputs for climate relevant measures for selected smart cities under the national mission
- Capacity building: Development of training modules and working aids including conduction and dissemination, on smart climate relevant solutions
- Establishment of multi-tier networking platform: City, State and National level networking platform for exchange of experience between Indian Smart Cities and disseminating international experiences for including climate aspects into Smart City Projects
- Indo-German Working Group: For urbanization support to National Ministries, States and Cities in including climate relevant instruments in planning, implementation and monitoring
The Research Assistant will support the existing project team, in the execution and coordination of all project activities as per the requirements of the project. The responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Implementation of the program as per the guidelines; through provision of technical support to the project team in all its activities;
- Support in the liaison with state govts, local authorities and MoHUA as well as national and state level training institutes;
- Support in the development and dissemination of training modules, working aids, ToT manuals and other capacity building material;
- Support in the organization and management of events such as training workshops, network events, working group meetings (both online and offline);
- Support in reaching out to GIZ partner cities and other smart cities for training needs assessment and other capacity development activities;
- Support in the implementation of the ClimateSmart Cities Assessment Framework as required;
- Support in the coordination with GIZ and other implementing partners;
- Daily support to project activities;
- Availability for travel as required.
Qualification and Experience
The Research Assistant must have a Master’s Degree in (urban/regional) Planning/City Planning/Urban Policy/Urban Development/Engineering/Architecture/ Environment Planning or equivalent Social Sciences (relevant to urban development) from a reputed institute, with at least 3 years of experience in undertaking research activities focused on climate change and related topics.
- Demonstrate expertise in some of the following thematic areas: urban governance; climate change mitigation, adaptation and resilience; urban planning and infrastructure; environmental planning; and/or related topics of concern to long-term urban resilience in Indian cities.
- Experience of municipal capacity building, training module and working aid formulation
- Experience of working on assessment frameworks/tools, evaluation indices, standard benchmarks and tracking/rating systems is an added advantage
- Experience of organizing and managing events and workshops is an added advantage
- Experience of development of online training material is an added advantage
- Experience of knowledge management/learning management software and online training tools is an added advantage
- Able to communicate clearly, strategically and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders
- Good analytical and knowledge management skills including writing, presentation and moderation skills
- Skills in MS-Office, Adobe Suite, relevant planning/implementation tools
- Application should contain detailed CV and a covering letter citing current position and remuneration and expressing interest and suitability for the position applied. It should also contain two writing samples of work in the relevant themes.
- Mention ‘Climate Smart Cities: Research Assistant’ in the subject line of your application.
- Applications should reach by 25th August 2020 on the NIUA portal
- For any queries, reach out to Ms. Uditi Agarwal at email@example.com
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview
Location of position
Based at the office of the NIUA, Core 4B, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi; with travel to partner cities as required.
Term of position
Full time position – The position is on a yearly contractual basis for the duration of the project.
At par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills. Proof of past remuneration may be required upon offer.
No. of Positions: 1Last Date to Apply: Tuesday, 25 August 2020
disclaimer: This post is for information purpose only. Visitors are required to verify all the details before applying.
Recent Govt. Job Updates:
- Vacancy for Asst. Cantonment Planner at Secunderabad Cantonment Board (Last Date: 09 Oct. 2021)
- Vacancy for Project Associate at SPA Bhopal (Last Date: 27-Sept-2021)
- Vacancy for Research Associate at IIT Roorkee (Last Date: 24-Sept.-2021)